Tuesday 29 May 2018

Way to beat Turnitin

I hate Turnitin. Universities force you to submit your work, which builds up the Turnitin database. Turnitin then sell that database to universities. Doesn't seem fair does it?

Here is a way to trick Turnitin via character substitution. I unfortunately never did this as I only thought of it while marking student reports later in academic life.

Note: Plagiarise at your own risk. I don't condone plagiarising, nor do I plagiarise anything myself; that shit is wrong. Taking other peoples work without credit is seriously fucked up. Imagine someone did that to you. Plus, you don't really learn anything if you do. Plagiarisim is a serious thing people.


This was more of an exercise to see if I could, I don't think plagarising, or using this for getting past spam filters is a good thing.


With that said, how to use:
  1. Open the Word document you want the macro to be used in
  2. Control+A to select all text you want changed
  3. ALT+F11 to open VBA Editor
  4. Control+M to Import File: sub-bub.bas
  5. F5 to run macro

Original > new symbol
           g > ɡ
           o > ᴏ
           c > ϲ
         M > Μ
          N > Ν
          B > Β
          A > Α

These characters might look the same, but I assure you, they are different. This means that you'll have a bunch of squiggly red lines under many of your words in the document (as Word will see them as spelling errors), however this also means Turnitin won't pick up the direct plagiarism (I think?).



Before


After





So here is a link to the Word macro: https://github.com/bananabenana/sub_bub 


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment