Sunday 23 December 2018

Going to sleep with computer addiction

So, I have computer addiction. I don't want to miss out on anything (massive FOMO) and will stay up till I am extremely tired. This is due to blue light https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30557479https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30506899https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30311830https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30568927.

I have remedied this with a few major changes in my life.

Firstly, by going to bed at a regular time. This has been incredibly difficult. Many people have trouble sleeping. I don't; I have trouble going to bed.

To resolve this, I went to Windows Task Scheduler:



I then clicked 'Create Basic Task' and enter the following information:




Then I clicked 'Next' and set the Trigger as a Daily task:




Then I clicked 'Next and set the time to 11:00 PM (as this is when I should be getting off the PC), recurring every 1 day. 

I then set it as 'Start a program' and click 'Next'.





Here are the details:

For 'Program/script': C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe
For 'Add arguments (optional)'-s -t 300 -c "Goodnight Ben!" -d p:4:1 




I then click 'Next', then 'Finish'. This sets up an automatic prompt for shutting down my computer at 11:00 PM, with a 2 minute warning window.

This has helped me significantly, allowing me to get off the computer and get to bed, so I can retain regular sleep habits.

Secondly, I have added f.lux to my desktop, which removes blue light. This kicks in around 7 PM and slowly removes blue light from the computer screen, which has been demonstrated to keep people awake.

Thirdly, using a Samsung Galaxy S9, which copied f.lux's blue light filter technique, I have turned on the 'Blue Light Filter' setting. 

Finally, I have set my phone alarm for my phone for 11:00 PM, which tells me to GTFO the computer, my phone and get ready for bed. I have time to shower, read and get into bed for a 12:00 AM sleep.

Going to sleep on a regular hour, and waking up regularly at 8 AM has been a legitimate boon for me. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment