Thursday 5 February 2015

Japanese Green Tea with toasted barley

Tea heads, welcome all of you! Gather round, gather round, for today I bringeth you all a story, a story I spun not 15 minutes ago. Let the Shelbyvillians naysayers have their fill, for I would not pull your leg, for this story be true, you can bet your bones on it. It all began with the cup of Japanese Green Tea with toasted barley sitting before me...

This story is truer than the origin of the lemon tree of
Springfield, home of the great Jebediah Springfield. As for
it's scale, it is much more epic and interlaced than the
fabric that holds Cloud Atlas together.



Hi, I'm a tea!

Initial observations:
I perchanced upon this wonderfully smelling tea, aromas dancing below my nose when I thought "Oh god that barley. Barley smells good. It smells better roasted. It smells better when it's in my tea." I looked up to the heavens, and thanked whatever god made me, for they also had the grace to make barley tea.

"You smell that? You smell that? Barley, boy. Nothing else
in the world smells like that. I love the smell of roasted barley
in the morning.  One time we had a hill bombed for 12 hours.
 I walked up it when it was all over; we didn't find one of
 'em...not one stinking gook body. They slipped out in the night, but
the smell, that roasted smell, the whole hill, it smelled like...victory



First thoughts on the first sips:
I swallowed my pride, then I took a sip, one would say at almost exactly the same time. "Oh wow, that is fantastic!" I thought. I said to myself, "You know this is what I actually love about tea; the simple things. 10 obscure organic ingredients does not a tea make. This right here is down to earth tea; it's got actual green tea in it, and it's got a solid foundation in the barley, giving it character and that full umami feels." For on this day, I had umami feels.


Many sips later:
Consider me chugging. I smashed this out like a 17 year old carrying a six-pack before heading into The Hawthorn. I king hit this tea like a Weekend Warrior in Melbourne would. I'm so glad I am alive to drink this. I knew I had to do something!


Recommendation: 
So, I ran from village to village, proclaiming this magical concoction. Yet no one would listen. I made signs, I cried louder than the town crier, yet no one would listen. I went out to the barley fields, and with a wooden board and my weight, I made funny patterns in the crops, circles, and symbols, just trying to get the world's attention! Yet it didn't work. Then, just as I was about to give up, I wrote a blog, and I recommended it. People all around the world reached out to me, and read this message. "Finally" I said, as I took my last breath, I could let go.


Final words:


Teadrinker, do not underestimate the powers of tea, or suffer your
father’s fate, you will. Teadrinker, when gone am I, the last of the tea drinkers,
will you be. Pass on what you have learned, Teadrinker...
There is...another...Tea...Tea...drinker.

Sources:
Ma brain, pop culture, my mum, etc etc.

1 comment: