Friday 9 January 2015

Chrysanthemum tea

Hi guys, today's tea is brought to you by my friend Qian, who has sent me this glorious bunch of teas you see before you:



This tea library needs no caption, bask in it's wonders.
Oh wait....

So I'd like to thank her for being a champ! The tea I am trying today is Chrysanthemum, which is basically dried flowers + boiling water. So far it doesn't smell overly appetising, but I'm fast learning to not judge a tea by it's smell. Maybe that's why I shouldn't try to eat my watermelon scented candle? But it smells sooooo goooooood.



I didn't think I'd ever see the day that I drink tea made from
chopped off flower heads. A bee, would love this tea!
Initial observations:
I wonder what goes through people's heads when they smell something that doesn't smell amazing, yet they still put it inside their mouth anyway and they can't even be sure it's edible. I wonder if human kind is just a massive, uncoordinated series of trial and error, kind of like the game Lemmings, where your mistakes cost lives. 
Okay here we go.


"Yes master, we all trust you. You will lead us to safety, all of us."


First thoughts on the first sips:
Hmm, it's not bad. It's quite pleasant, it has a kind of fresh taste to it like a very mild, mild mint. I was literally expecting it to taste like sunflowers, which by the way are gross. I was recommended two flowers per cup, but I could definitely handle dropping in at least double. 


Many sips later:
I can see why tea bags are a thing, because they stop you swallowing tea shrapnel and having to clear it out from between your teeth. That said, this is a really nice tea, and I'm not just saying that because someone sent it to me! I'm not here to take sides and be a biased reviewer! I take my tea very seriously, and I resent the accusation! Take it back you coward!

Recommendation: 
I'd say go for it, but I'm not sure how you get tea like this. That said I think it's worth a shot, and it's definitely unique from at least my point of view in terms of tea. It doesn't try to be anything it's not; it doesn't stomp around with exclamations of what it's mean to taste like, it's just two little Chrysanthemum flowers bobbing up and down in a mug of boiling water. This is a humble effing tea. Colour me effing humbled.

Final words:
Seriously, I'm not drinking tea without tea bags again, I'll fashion one out of papers from dropped cigarette butts if I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment